Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thank God for libraries

I love books. But at bookshops, I am like a child looking into a candystore, nose pressed against the glass, reading jackets and returning books to their glossy places on display.

I am not blaspheming when I say, "Thank God for libraries". My daughter and I spend countless hours in our local library and even if the library itself cannot afford all the latest titles, there are still always the classics that comfort us with their endurance.

When I visited my sister in the UK, all I saw were books, everywhere, and like one of those sad Eastern European refugees, was collared at the airport for over-heavy luggage.

"I know what it's like," the airport check-in girl twittered merrily, "you go shopping and before you know it you're over the limit." She was visualizing shoes and handbags, I was handing my sister my books.

Well. Thank God for libraries

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Keep it short, sweet and kind!