Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pearl of China

The novel, "Pearl of China" by Anchee Min is one of the most moving stories I have ever read. After laughing at descriptions of Papa, the Popcorn Man or Bumpkin Emperor, I cried over accounts of the "cultural revolution" in China and the persecution of so many men, women and children from all walks of life. This is a story of friendship, loyalty and love that is heartrending in its simplicity. As a teenager living in China, Anchee Min was taught to denounce Nobel Prize winner, Pearl S. Buck as an American cultural imperialist. But after reading Pearl's book, "The Good Earth", decided to write this novel. You will read the book in one sitting - as it is impossible to put down until you know the fate of such wonderfully appealing characters. They linger in the mind as you think, I know this person. I recognize that person. It is my mother, my sister, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Keep it short, sweet and kind!