Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Great Goons

Our great joy this school holiday has been to listen to the Goon Show in the evenings, with dogs snoring at our feet, playing Mancala. My daughter has become so good at this game that she now beats me every time, and I feel like whining - rather like Bluebottle - "I'm not playing with you."

The Goon appeal lasts over generations. I found them hilarious and my daughter squeals with merriment at the sound effects. And with show titles like: "The Macreekie Rising of '74", "The Histories of Pliny the Elder" and "The Chinese Legs" you can imagine the impossible stories. As Miss Snut (?) says in "1985", "I have loved you from afar" and Neddy replies, "My favourite distance!"

For anyone new to the Goons, imagine Peter Sellers of The Pink Panther fame x3. My daughter wanted to find out more and so we rented the Pink Panther movies. I found them so funny as a child, was pleased to find my daughter also enjoyed them very much.

Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and "Neddy"/Harry Secombe. Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Keep it short, sweet and kind!